EASY CROCKPOT CHICKEN LO MEIN
Skip takeout and produce a delicious version of chicken lo mein in your home! Allow the chicken simmer away then add pasta and veggies!
I have been dying to share this recipe with you for some time now… but with my time off through the holidays, it has been sitting in my drafts folder… until now! We are takeout lovers that are big here in The Chunky Chef home, and lo mein is a favorite. This version is amazing in it’s own way, and I am still working on this one, although I have been on the search for a copycat of the takeout flavor.
Beautifully sweet and salty with a little kick from the sambal oelek and sriracha, this chicken lo mein is every bit as tasty as it’s easy to make.
What Type of SAUCE IS USED IN LO MEIN?
Traditionally lo mein sauce is made from soy sauce and sesame oil with various other seasonings (such as ginger, garlic, and oyster sauce). For my version I use the taste to be deepened by a mix of soy sauces, and some chile sriracha and paste up a little.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LO MEIN AND CHOW MEIN?
Lo mein is made using soft and slightly chewy noodles, which can be thrown into a sauce, whereas chow mein is made with slightly thinner noodles which are stir fried until slightly crispy. Both are yummy, it comes down to which feel of noodle you would prefer!
Recipe adapted from HERE
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- drizzle of sriracha sauce
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 lb. dried lo mein noodles
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- Add chicken thighs to bottom of slow cooker insert. Whisk together sauce ingredients and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred, then add back to slow cooker with juice and sauce.
- Add broccoli, snow peas, carrots, bell pepper and water chestnuts, and stir. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, boil and drain pasta per package directions, then add to crockpot with chicken and vegetables. Stir well, then serve with garnishes, if desired.